Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Workout Meta Schedule

In order to achieve my previously stated goals, I'm using a combination of weightlifting, cardio, dietary modification, and supplements.

In this post, I'd like to talk a little about the 800-pound gorilla in the room, weightlifting.

I'm not looking to get big, although I do have a lot of respect for the guys who are capable of doing so. I'm much more interested in getting lean and fit.

I get to the gym to lift three times a week. I prefer to do natural exercises, but I'm not yet able to do unassisted pullups and dips (hey, 191 pounds is a lot of weight). My goal is that all of my primary exercises would be natural, though. This would include pushups and dips for pectoral muscles, pullups and lifts for my back, and one-legged leg lifts for my legs. (I haven't found a good, natural exercise for my shoulders yet, if you know of one please add it in the comments section!)

Above all else, my goal when working out is safety.

My workouts always move from 'more free' to 'more constrained'. I do this primarily to avoid injury due to exhaustion. At the beginning of the workout when I have more strength and stamina, I feel more confident using more weight and dumbbells than I would at the end of a workout (when I typically do machines or cable systems).

I split my workouts by muscle groups, and only work each muscle group once a week. There's research in all directions on this though, and I may change to a full body workout at some point in the future.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something here, but this is the gist of my philosophy on working out.

1 comment:

AmaTierra Hotel and Retreat said...

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this post. I get to know about the do’s and don’t’s of blog commenting it must be useful to all of us and definitely, i ll remember all these points while I will comment

Wellness Retreats in Costa Rica